Monday, July 30, 2007

MUSIC FESTIVALS AND DIVERSITY IN LONDON MAY 06

I have been going to festivals. They are free and outside. For the cost of nothing, you can stand with crowds and hear bad sounds systems bellow out what is declared to be the latest musicians from around the world and then spend heaps of money on eats and drinks. I considered it part of my re-integration into London life and culture.



I went to a Philippino Festival on Sunday (the day I had the wierdo tube encounter) and despite being half-Philippino, felt like a complete outsider. There is nothing more bizarre than being surrounded by hundreds of people who look vaguely like you, and some who might even be related to you, but whom you have nothing in common with. The place was full of food stands and banks for sending money abroad and had one music stage. It was part business venture and part place to hang out. I looked at food names where I had no idea of what they consisted of, except for stewed chicken feet, which I guess was stewed chicken feet.



At the Turkish festival I bought yohurt and halloumi cheese and watched an overly-thin belly dancer strut poses on stage, while a more agile onlooker got the crowd's attention as she danced on the grass. I met two Bulgarians there and have signed up for Bulgarian dance classes at the Bulgarian Embassy, which they promised they would follow up on. We shall see...



The Cuban festival was very good, with a lot of salsa lovers attending. But not a lot of dancing, the grass is difficult to spin on, and I realise Londoners are reluctant to dance in pubic spaces.I went to a Diversity festival in Finsbury Park where people gathered at diverse spots - Africans gathered at the African stage, salsa lovers at the Cuban tent, hip hop, bhangra, mainstream and Eastern European at their respective stages. Yes, it was diverse, but not really integrated. At least everyone was in the same park, I guess.

No comments: